27 August 2007

Rant: Definately. NOT!

Misspellings. One of my pet peeves. I don't even know why it bothers me so much, especially since English wasn't even my first language. I mean, if I can use and spell these properly, why can't youse?


Definately: I want to claw my eyeballs out whenever I see someone misspell this word. There's no A in "definitely". Just like there's no A in "moron".

Aggravate: It means "to make things worse". People confuse this word with "irritate", which means "to annoy". Use it properly, or you'll aggravate my irritation.

Accept/Except: Simple rule. Only use accept when you're receiving something.

Desert/Dessert: Just like sand, a desert has one S. Sweets, like dessert, have two.

Its/Your/Their: Used to indicate ownership. Its toy. Your book. Their car. Don't confuse these with the It's/You're/They're contraction. It is toy? You are book? They are car? Makes no sense.

It's/You're/They're: It's not that hard to use these. They're contractions of "It is", "You are", and "They are" respectively. If you're still confused, just stop using them.

That's enough for now.

0 comments: